Is the Catholic Church out of touch, out of date, and does it need to change? Well, some say so, but is that the reality?
…It is true that when we look at the Church through the lens of modern western culture, that the Church is not trendy. Church leaders are not interested in changing doctrine to keep up with the times. It seems the Church is too old and stuck in her ways.
To be quite honest, this is a good thing. But, the Church isn’t behind the times, she is above them.
What has our culture brought us:
- Abortion on-demand
- Culture of death
- More wars (in the 20th Century) than any other time in history
- More slavery TODAY than any other time in history.
- Divorce and broken families.
- Pornography and selfishness.
Why would we ever think this culture is healthy or good enough to be a model for the Catholic Church to follow?
Why would we ever believe the modern way of thinking is really true?
Where is the beauty in this modern culture?
Here are just a few of the problems with believing the Church just needs to be updated to keep up with the culture:
- with this mindset we jettison all of the teachings of Christ, believing they are not applicable to us today.
- we make ourselves smarter than God. If we believe that the Church needs to change her ways, to line up with our thinking, then we are making ourselves the final judge of what is true and good = making ourselves a god.
The world needs the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church has the answer for all the world’s problems in the fullness of truth and the fullness of grace she offers to the world. The Church gives us a moral anchor, an answer to broken families, addiction, sin, war, violence, abuse, and all the other issues in our culture. More than ever the world needs the Catholic Church, if our society is to last. This answer is the personal relationship with Jesus that the Catholic Church offers to us all through the Sacramental grace, teachings of the Church, and in our own personal prayer we all need.
Jesus created one Church. We are that Church, the Catholic Church and if the world needs the Catholic Church, then the Church needs saints. We need to be holy if we are to change the world.